Re: [E-devel] Using freedesktop.org .desktop files.

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:48:45 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com"
<jose_ogp@juno.com> wrote:

> 	David writes:
>
> > In the context of this thread, the freedesktop.org specs say that
> > the user specifies the size in pixels of icons that they want, and
> > for svg's, that means we need to render to that particular size.
> > There is a default icon size of 48x48 if the user didn't specify
> > a size.
> >

> 	I've never looked at the fdo spec in question, but are you
> sure that it insists on icons being displayed at some restricted
> size?  This seems like a rather large step into fixing/determining
> policy... Who is this "user" who specifies the size? And is it the
> must-be-rendered size or a preferred size or an available icon size?
> 	Is it possible the spec means that icons are to be provided
> in some set of sizes.. rather than that they must be rendered at
> some set of sizes?

The user is the logged in user that will be seeing the icons.  There is
a default size of 48x48 if the user doesn't use some method of
selecting other sizes.  There is an fdo specified algorithm for
searching amongst any installed icon sets for an icon that closely
matches that size.  In the case of SVG, the code is simply expected to
render to the user chosen (or default) size.

Also part of the fdo algo is fallback options, default themes,
inherited icons amongst themes, it's quite complex.  I have not only
studied the spec, but implemented it.