Re: [E-devel] Notification area

On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:51:24 -0400 Dusik <specious@gmail.com> babbled:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:23:38 -0400 "Carl Bolduc" <drcurl@gmail.com> babbled:

Is there a plan on supporting this kinda notifications?

Thank you for the superb desktop,

not for e17 - maybe e18. :) then again - patches accepted (if they are
good) :)

Can't that be handled entirely by a module, without anything extra in
e core?  Am I missing something obvious?

it could be - for sure. though again - then it'd be an external module - unless
u send patches for an e17 module to go into the codebase... :)

I've been playing with a module that will do this. Probably the best way to do it is to add support to Ecore for the fd.o notification spec [1]. Then a module can just attach to DBUS and watch for messages.

Right now I'm just playing with getting my module to accept and format messages properly independent of how it receives them. I'm thinking of modeling primarily after Growl for OS X. Don't let that stop anyone from working on a different module, I'm not exactly notorious for finishing these little side projects. :)

1. http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/0.9/index.html
2. http://growl.info/about.php

-Blake