Re: [E-devel] does alpha_set work together with shaped_set?

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:29:29 +0000 Hannes Janetzek <rastamasta@gmx.de> babbled:

> Am Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:31:10 +0900
> schrieb Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com>:
>
> > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:38:01 +0000 Hannes Janetzek
> > <rastamasta@gmx.de> babbled:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I´m trying to make engage work in a composite environment.
> > > Everything works fine so far. The Problem is when I use set_alpha
> > > and then set_shaped, the whole window still recieves input events.
> > > Does shape_set not work if the window was set up to use alpha
> > > channel? If so, have somebody an idea how to work around this?
> >
> > correct - shaped and alpha are mutually exclusive. you woudl need to
> > manually generate a shape mask and set the input event mask (new
> > addition to shape extn) to what u want... ie - what u want isnt
> > supported in ecore/evas.
>
> hm, I did it manually but the window still gets focus when the
> pointer is on the not masked area... I think I have to dig deeper
> into this.

ooh because it's a managed window and the wm (e) will not understand anythng
about event shapes - it only handles traditional shapes. so you need to set the
shape to  the largest region in which you will draw pixels (otherwise they
might get chopped off/clipped away). e doesn't know about event shapes so it
wont do it for you :(

> Have you seen any documentation on the ShapeInput option?

no- but this is what lets you set the shape mask/rect list for where in a
window events are allowed to happen. it allows you to separately determine
drawing region and event region.

> As far as I understand it it should work just like ShapeBounding
> - XShapeCombineMask for ShapeBounding gives only mouse events to the
> window in the masked area AND make the not masked area fully
> transparent. XShapeCombineMask for ShapeInput should do only the former,
> right?
>
> Or could it be possible that the wm has to know about ShapeInput to set
> focus correctly ?

yes - it does. if you bypass the wm then it won't matter if the wm knows or not.

> btw. Is it wanted that in _ecore_evas_x_render()
> ecore_x_window_shape_events_select() gets such a complex second
> argument if the only thing that it constantly should say is turn on /
> turn off ?  Also to me it looks like it says turn on twice.

turning on twice is harmless - likely just how the code has evolved. the 2nd
argument is either 0 or 1 (off or on).