Re: [E-devel] [Patch] e17 maximize actions

David Stevenson wrote:

Another thing (which I don't think has ever worked as I expected) is in the border menu, the checkboxes for maximization seems weird. If you turn one on, they all turn on. And then if you are already, say, horizontally maximised, you aren't allowed to then toggle directly into another state of maximization - you have to un-horizontally maximize first, then remaximise the way you want. If you are maximised, you can't just horizontally unmaximise either.

To be exhaustive! The different transitions between maximisation states that I'd like to be able to toggle between are like below:
(I'm ignoring "fullscreen" mode here - not sure how that should fit in):

State
0 Not maximized
       -> can horizontally maximize (to state 1)
       -> can vertically maximize (to state 2)
       -> can fully maximize (to state 3)

1 Horizontally maximized
       -> can horizontally unmaximize (to state 0)
       -> can vertically maximise (to state 3)
       -> can fully maximize (to state 3)

2 Vertically maximized
       -> can horizontally maximize (to state 3)
       -> can vertically unmaximize (to state 0)
       -> can fully maximize (to state 3)

3 Fully maximized
       -> can horizontally unmaximize (to state 2)
       -> can vertically unmaximize (to state 1)
       -> can unmaximze (to state 0)

In state's 0, there should obviously be no checkboxes checked in the border menu for maximization, in states 1 and 2, one only check box depending on which direction the window was maximized in, and then in state 3, either all check boxes toggled on, or only the "fully" maximized checkbox toggled on (not sure which is better for that 3rd state - all, or just one - maybe one would be consistent with the idea of "states", but I don't know if grandma would think about it like that...).

Does this seem sensible?
I have been thinking of working with this functionality along these lines myself at some point - not sure when I'm likely to get to it though, so if someone takes away my fun first, I'll live with it :-)

Seems sensible, but DO NOT change the e_border_(un)maximize() functions. These functions must be this way to work with netwm. Just change the action and border menu interaction with these functions.

Sebastian