Re: [E-devel] Debian packages for e_modules

David Seikel a écrit :

Autotools and compiling can both benefit from their own caching
mechanisms.  The autotools configurations are usually copied around and
tweaked rather than being written from scratch, mostly coz not many
people understand autotools.  It shows, many of them are checking for
things they don't need to check for, and are based on old deprecated
methods of getting things done.

Ive been studying autotools, and experimenting with the proper way to
set it up.  I intend to rip out the stuff I copied and pasted for the
emu module and replace it with stuff I'll write from scratch to do it
the right way.  Until I get around to that, I don't really care what is
done to the emu autofoo, so long as it keeps working.  After I have
rewritten it from scratch, I'll be much more concerned about what gets
done to it by others.  B-)

I was about to make another post (as it doesn't apply only to e_modules) to make a suggestion on autotools caching capabilities. I don't really understand autotools, but I've experienced a good speedup on executing ./configure script with "--cache-file=FILE" option (with a same file used for all libs/apps). Is this that sort of caching mechanism you're talking about ?

On the other hand, devilhorns is the general maintainer of e_modules,
and I'm his assistant in that area.  But we tend to shy away from doing
any major changes to any of the modules that aren't considered "ours" to
play with, mostly to avoid stepping on other peoples toes.  This policy
of ours doesn't match up real well with your option number 1.

I totally agree with you, that's why I also prefer solution 2.

So I vote for method 2.  I must admit that I know nothing about the
debian package creation process though.  Maybe we can do the same as is
done for the e_modules autotools, allow each module to be built
individually, AND have a "build all at once" option?

I don't know how to make this using a debian way (and if there's a clean way to do that). For me, a very simple way to build all at once would be to provide a script like this in e_modules directory :

for i in */
	do
	if [ -d $i/debian ]
	then