Re: [E-devel] E CVS: apps/e raster

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 10:34:28PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:44:09 -0500 brian.mattern@gmail.com babbled:
> > Since for .eaps, the only things chaning are the image and the extra metadata
> > fields (exe, class, etc), it might be quicker if we simply used eet directly
> > to write out the image data to the image/0 key (without touching the edje
> > blob). We'd have to make sure we used the proper compression, but that
> > shouldn't be too difficult. We could even make this a generic '.edj image
> > swapping' tool.
>
> this feels sooo dirty - what if the icon uses multiple images in the .edj. this
> is currently bothering me as it simply doesn't make it sane to do without
> entirely decompiling the edje then recompiling.

I haven't tried, but is it even possible to edit an .eap that uses a
non-standard edj as its base? In any case, with the current method,
setting the icon and saving would cause the entire icon to be
overwritten by a 'standard' eap with the chosen icon.

Also, as I mentioned before, it wouldn't be too difficult to handle the
multiple image case. We could just provide the ability to change each
image (see below).

> > So,
> >
> > Load up a template .edj
> > Display a list of images in the ejde's image directory (reading in the
> > compression, etc also).
> > Allow new image files to be specified for each of these
> > On 'Save', copy the template to the new location, replace out the
> > images/0, images/1, etc keys with any new ones selected (properly
> > compressed).
> > (for .eaps you'd have the additional metadata fields to replace also)
> >
> > This way the .edc wouldn't have to be parsed / compiled each time.
> >
> > Something like this just seems cleaner to me, and would allow
> > alternate styles (multistate icons maybe?) to be generated.

We could even hook in some descriptive metadata (somewhere in the images
block, e.g. an extra optional image param to say its swappable).

Maybe I just have an unnatural aversion to keeping edc in c code and
compiling it out every change. :)

--
brian