Re: [E-devel] Incorrect Debian packaging issue

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:08:19 +0200 Falko Schmidt
<kaethorn@stud.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> > This is wrong and needs fixing asap.
> >
> > 	>You are free to distribute this software under the terms
> > 	>of, 	the GNU
> > General Public License.
> >

> > The only modules, to my knowledge, that are GPL are: devian and
> > language. The rest are the same Bsd license that E uses, not GPL.
> >

> Good, I fixed all but mail, snow and taskbar, which seem to be GPL as
> well.
>
> Eveil doesn't contain any COPYING (yet?).

Due to the use of --gnu as an option to automake instead of --foreign,
automake will insert the standard GPL version of COPYING if it is
missing.  So the cvs doesn't contain an e_modules/eveil/COPYING, but
one is added when the user compiles it.  I tend to consider this as
accidentally licensed by default and probably not what the author
meant.  Currently the same issue exists with misc/elapse, I've
discussed this with DigitalFallout and he says he will get around to
fixing that (3 clause bsd license is what he wants).

Since only the original author can assign a license to his or her work,
kiwi will have to decide what license to use for eveil and commit a
COPYING file to suit.  This is the reason why I don't put COPYING files
into .cvsignore files, the correct fix for the GPL by default problem is
to provide a GOPYING file in cvs or use --foreign with automake, or
both.