Re: [E-devel] E CVS: apps/e raster

After a discussion with raster on IRC -

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:52:21 +1000 David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com>
wrote:

> becomes, where is the best place for .desktop support code so that E
> and other code can use it?  IPC (here's the path to a .desktop, give
> me back a .eap)?  In a library?  I'm not real fussy, I just want to
> avoid duplicating the code.

e17/apps/e/src/bin/e_desktopfile.[ch] will depend only on ecore,
hand it a full path to a .desktop file, you get back a structure with
all relevant fields from the .desktop including a full path to it's
icon.  Note that the search paths used are detected automatically
according to fdo specs. but it should be possible for the user to add
more.  Provide an API to set the icon size / theme, append / prepend
the search paths, int and shutdown the thing, etc.

This source file will not depend on E, and can be compiled into third
party apps that require .desktop file access like e17genmenu.

There will need to be an icon size and theme name stored somewhere that
the user can edit via a config dialog (defaults are "48x48" and
"hicolor").  The icon config dialog will show the user what fdo themes
they have installed and allow them to choose one as well as one of the
supported icon sizes.  It will also allow the user to add extra search
paths.  Leave the GUI config and the config file up to E.