Re: [E-devel] discussion: new features in E. try 2.

On 6/12/06, Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 01:05:27PM +0200, muzzle wrote:
> On 6/10/06, Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> mhm I tried to use it (on my x86 laptop with Debian sid), but the list
> of available keyboard layouts in the configuration window was empty.
> Am I supposed to do something to make the module aware of the
> available layouts? Where does the module look for them?

The module collects all the information about the available layouts from
the following file: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml.

there is no such file on my system:

$ ls /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml
ls: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml: No such file or directory

nor there is a xorg.xml

Actully with the modern Xorg server this file should be xorg.xml. But
for the compatibility I use xfree86.xml.

Maybe I have to use the following file /etc/X11/xkb/xfree86.xml ?

In my Debian system the xfree86.xml is in /etc/X11/xkb/rules/ (I think
the Debian policy mandate this location)

$ ls -l /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2006-05-08 19:11
/etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml -> xorg.xml

Please check if u have this file. And please let me know. Btw, do u have
XKB extenssion installed/enabled ?

I am not sure what you mean with that but making
/usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml a symlink to my xorg.xml gets the
module working.

Please consider adding the standard debian location to the module search path.

BTW it would be very helpful to be able to browse the list of
available languages via keyboard. (if I press 'e' the first available
layout that begins with e gets selected)

[...]

Thanks for the help, and bye,

Emme

--
"Aspetto un'emozione sempre piu' indefinibile" (CCCP Fedeli alla linea)