Re: [E-devel] discussion: new features in E. try 2.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 01:05:27PM +0200, muzzle wrote:
> On 6/10/06, Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hey raster,
> >
> >Hmmmm, actually, I already implemented all the things in
> >e_modules/language module. Now it is standalone. It is able to manage
> >actual input language for each window, and flip between keybord
> >layouts on the fly. Moreover it hooks into E and defines 2 new actions
> >and keybindings for them as it starts, and removes those actions and
> >keybindings on unload.
> >
> >I want to make one more hook into E. For now there exists a config
> >dialog for the module. I'd like to hook it into the E main config
> >panel. As far as I remmember there is a FIXME for
> >this :)
> >
> >Unfortunatelly, somehow I missed ur mail. But now, I'll review the
> >module once again wrt to your comments.
> >
> >Of course, I'd like to move some of the module's functionality
> >directly to E. For
> >example language settings per window. Consequently, this  will remove
> >some expensive searches and management of the running windows, since
> >the module will know everything as soon as it gets a pointer to a
> >border in callback :).
> >
> >But, if I move some of its functionality to E, then it will be
> >dependent on E. And actually, the module will only flip the input
> >keyboard layout and visualize the current language icon.
> >So, then it cannot be standalone as now.
> >
> >Ofcourse, since the module works now, at least for me :), because I
> >did not hear any comments about it yet, there is no need to reinvent
> >it, to reprogram it and to place some of its functionality into E.
> >

> mhm I tried to use it (on my x86 laptop with Debian sid), but the list
> of available keyboard layouts in the configuration window was empty.
> Am I supposed to do something to make the module aware of the
> available layouts? Where does the module look for them?

The module collects all the information about the available layouts from
the following file: /usr/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml.
Actully with the modern Xorg server this file should be xorg.xml. But
for the compatibility I use xfree86.xml.

Maybe I have to use the following file /etc/X11/xkb/xfree86.xml ?

Please check if u have this file. And please let me know. Btw, do u have
XKB extenssion installed/enabled ?

--

Aleksej Struk
Master Degree Student