Re: [E-devel] discussion: new features in E. try 2.

On 6/10/06, Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey raster,

Hmmmm, actually, I already implemented all the things in
e_modules/language module. Now it is standalone. It is able to manage
actual input language for each window, and flip between keybord
layouts on the fly. Moreover it hooks into E and defines 2 new actions
and keybindings for them as it starts, and removes those actions and
keybindings on unload.

I want to make one more hook into E. For now there exists a config
dialog for the module. I'd like to hook it into the E main config
panel. As far as I remmember there is a FIXME for
this :)

Unfortunatelly, somehow I missed ur mail. But now, I'll review the
module once again wrt to your comments.

Of course, I'd like to move some of the module's functionality
directly to E. For
example language settings per window. Consequently, this  will remove
some expensive searches and management of the running windows, since
the module will know everything as soon as it gets a pointer to a
border in callback :).

But, if I move some of its functionality to E, then it will be
dependent on E. And actually, the module will only flip the input
keyboard layout and visualize the current language icon.
So, then it cannot be standalone as now.

Ofcourse, since the module works now, at least for me :), because I
did not hear any comments about it yet, there is no need to reinvent
it, to reprogram it and to place some of its functionality into E.

mhm I tried to use it (on my x86 laptop with Debian sid), but the list
of available keyboard layouts in the configuration window was empty.
Am I supposed to do something to make the module aware of the
available layouts? Where does the module look for them?

Also, from my point of view, it would be nice to have it in the main E
src tree, because, when non-english people starts a WM they'd like to
have language tools immideately and without looking  for the 3rd party
module. What do u think about this ?

As a non-english user I think I have been waiting for something like
this module for a looooooooong time and it really deserves being
included in the main tree!

sndev

Bye,

Emme
[...]
--
"Aspetto un'emozione sempre piu' indefinibile" (CCCP Fedeli alla linea)