[E-devel] problems with unstable autoconf and use of datadir variable

Hey,

it seems that some distro (debian) update autoconf with an unstable
version of autoconf. This version does not seems to work with
configure.in/ac that uses the datadir variable.

I know that the topic of #edevelop mentions it. But a mail on the autoconf
ML says that we must be careful on the use of that variable [1].

So i've looked a bit at the autoconf manual, and I find that (page 24) :

"you should not use [datadir] except in Makefiles. For instance, instead
of evaluate datadir in 'configure' and hard-coding it in Makefiles, using
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(PACKAGE_DATA_DIR, "${datadir}"), you should add
'-DDATADIR="$(datadir)" to your CPPFLAGS.
Similarly you should not rely on AC_OUTPUT_FILES to replace datadir in
your shell scripts."

There's an example on how to manage the .in script files like
evas-config.in.

Maybe we should follow the autoconf manual recommandations, no ?

Vincent

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2006-05/msg00081.html