Re: [E-devel] Edje transitions

On Sun, 14 May 2006 01:37:48 +0200 Simon TRENY <simon.treny@free.fr> babbled:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've noticed that in edje, when you start a new transition on a
> part while another transition was already running, the running
> transition jumps directly to its final state in order to start the new
> transition.
> For example, if a part has 3 states (state1, state2, state3). At the
> beginning the part is in the state 1. Now, with STATE_SET, you start a
> smooth transition from state1 to state2, but before this transition is
> complete, you start another smooth transition to state3. In this case,
> the part will directly go to state2 (it wasn't in state2 since the
> first transition wasn't complete), and will start the smooth transition
> to state3.

the reason this was done is that it was simple and mean you pass in 2
description states and then a float value 0.0 - 1.0 for how much between to go
to - it means u didn't have to create a temporary 3rd description that is the
current state and all its values.

> Is there actually a good reason for that behaviour, except the fact
> that it is easier to implement? The problem with this behaviour may be
> seen in the new ibar's labels for example: when the mouse enters an
> icon, the label smoothly appears and when it leaves the icon, the
> label smoothly disappears. But if the mouse leaves the icon before
> the label has totally appeared, then the label just seems to pop up. It
> happens if you move the mouse quicly over the ibar. Ok, I know, this is
> not a big problem, but I think it will look a lot better if this
> behaviour was different (if the interpolation was done from the
> intermediate state).
> Another example, in entrance, you can click on a button to open
> smoothly the "Sessions" panel. A new click closes it smoothly. But
> several fast clicks makes it pops up with no longer smooth transition.
>
> So what do you think about it? Should we implement a better transition
> system, or is there a good reason to do that (I can see some)

well i think it'd be good to do so - it'd be better - definitely.