Re: [E-devel] E lib submission

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:09:15 -0700 (PDT) jerome Wilson <wilanje77@yahoo.com>
babbled:

> Greetings fellow E-landers.
>
> Over the easter weekend the aboundance of candy gave
> me a tase for eye-candy :),
> while browsing my home dir i fell upon ematrix written
> by Ibukun Olumuyiwa and i saw that it was sweet!!! :)
> Then it hit me wouldn't it be great if i could use it
> as a screensaver ... so after converting it to
> a Evas smart object and modifying some e17 code ... lo
> and behold it was delicious and i enjoyed it ( see
> screenshots in archive ).
> But then i pondered wouldn't it be wonderful if it
> could be plugable so i started on a journey that led
> me to ....
> modules, i then took a few minutes to figure out the
> best way to do it as a module, but, that soon ended
> when i
> realised that it would require too much work and i was
> HUNGRY!
> So a few more minutes of brainstorming and ....
>
> Enter Esa.
>
> Esa stands for Esmart Animation (yeah the name kinda
> sucks...).
> Basically it's a Evas smart object wrapped around
> regular evas code that can be loaded dynamically (did
> someone say plugin?).
> So the code once loaded can be manipulated as an evas
> object.
>
> Right now there are 3 demos available:
>   - default  :  code taken from evas test written by
> Rasterman ( graphics by Raster?)
>   - ematrix  :  code written by Ibukun Olumuyiwa (
> graphics by Ibukun?)
>   - pixelman :  code written by Rephorm ( graphics by
> Rephorm?)
>
> Esa could loosely be compared to Edje running an
> animation in a loop.
> Esa modules being pure evas code, Esa can (well should
> haven't tested it yet ...) also be reused in it's
> modules.
>
> Esa is not yet complete, it needs testing, pluging,
> filling, auto-tooling, and *ing :D
>
> I've already started testing in e17 by  as that was my
> primary goal and it works pretty well,
> have a look in the screeshot dir for a "sneak peek".
>
> Get it here :
> http://www.simadom.com/wilanje/esa-0.0.1.tgz

interesting idea - cool, in that you can have loadable modules for objects, BUT
one slight problem - the objects now are bound to 1 architecture only - the one
they are compiled for. i am not sure if this is a good idea or not. i would
have thought using something like embryo, implementing bindings for all the
useful evas/ecore etc. calls they could want (and still have them sandboxed so
they can't do any damage) then you can have small datafiles u can load that
work on any architecture - anywhere, and are "safe" to load... :)