Re: [E-devel] E17 sluggish?!

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:46:31 +1000 David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com> babbled:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:59:23 +0800 "Didier Casse"
> <didier.casse@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/11/06, Andrew Williams <andy@handyande.co.uk> wrote:
> > > update all of your modules
> > > if you use "net" / "cpu" or "mem" then it is almost certainly fixed
> >
> > Thanks Andrew and Brian for the reply. My modules are up-to-date. But
> > it was clearly these modules. When I unloaded them, my desktop was
> > given a boost in speed. :-) The culprits are "cpu" and "mem". For net,
> > iy has negligible effect .
> >

> > It is said that it's fixed but even modules pulled out today make my
> > box sluggish. No more loading of these for me for the time being.
>
> What got fixed is that they continue to soak up more and more CPU until
> you run out.  That was a bug, and that got fixed.  There is now a cap
> on the CPU usage that is directly related to how many pixels it has to
> move each time they update.  Due to the nature of things, if you make
> them large, then they will use a lot of CPU time because they are large
> slabs of translucent pixels moving across your desktop.  These pixels
> have to be blended with whatever is under them each time.
>
> The maintainer of those modules has gone away for a month, and he
> wanted to change the way the graphs work.  During his absence I am
> authorised to fix anything that gets broken by API changes.  The basic
> way that modules work is about to undergo a serious change with the long
> awaited introduction of gadcon.  One way or another, this problem will
> get fixed.

MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_shelf_test_04.png
http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_shelf_test_05.png

is where i am at with gadman->gadcon conversion. basically ibar & ibox left.
when ibar is done e17 is vaguely usable again so i'll commit then - but i have
a whole host of things to do (in no particular order) after ibar is done:

1. let you actually configure shelves (add, delete, name them, configure
position, sizing and styling, popup or not).
2. add shelf autohide/autoshow features
3. make shelves accounted for as resist-able regions on move/resize and for
autoplace
4. fix some small resize/size allocation issues with gadcons and requested size
5. let you configure which zone a pager module controls
6. let you choose what directory an ibar displays/looks at
7. add a few more shelf styles (invisible is easy - but maybe a translucent one
for when it's on the desktop).
8. let you configure which available gadcon providers live in a gadcon and
their style (modules register a gadcon provider class so when gadcon starts up
a new gadcon it looks at the config for all desired gadcon client names and
looks for a provider of that gadcon client name and asks it for a new gadcon
client).
9. solve the problem of multiple pagers in multihead or xinerama where you want
by DEFAULT a pager per screen - but you want to be able to turn this off too
10. allow dropshadows to be configurable per "shape" (border, shelf, etc.)
11. fix gadcon editing for positioning gadcon clients so its a little more
robust and lets you also resize gadcon clients, not just move them.
12. also make ibox a gadcon client.

maybe i missed 1 or 2 things here. but this should finally but gadgets in good
stead.

into the future (not for e17 most likely):

* gadcon can get new layout engines (instead of the linear one it has right now)
that allow free placement, shuffling, tabled and other lauyouts
* use gadcon in more places (borders/titlebars in theory are possible, menus,
etc.)