Re: [E-devel] E17 sluggish?!

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:59:23 +0800 "Didier Casse"
<didier.casse@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/06, Andrew Williams <andy@handyande.co.uk> wrote:
> > update all of your modules
> > if you use "net" / "cpu" or "mem" then it is almost certainly fixed
>
> Thanks Andrew and Brian for the reply. My modules are up-to-date. But
> it was clearly these modules. When I unloaded them, my desktop was
> given a boost in speed. :-) The culprits are "cpu" and "mem". For net,
> iy has negligible effect .
>

> It is said that it's fixed but even modules pulled out today make my
> box sluggish. No more loading of these for me for the time being.

What got fixed is that they continue to soak up more and more CPU until
you run out.  That was a bug, and that got fixed.  There is now a cap
on the CPU usage that is directly related to how many pixels it has to
move each time they update.  Due to the nature of things, if you make
them large, then they will use a lot of CPU time because they are large
slabs of translucent pixels moving across your desktop.  These pixels
have to be blended with whatever is under them each time.

The maintainer of those modules has gone away for a month, and he
wanted to change the way the graphs work.  During his absence I am
authorised to fix anything that gets broken by API changes.  The basic
way that modules work is about to undergo a serious change with the long
awaited introduction of gadcon.  One way or another, this problem will
get fixed.