Re: [E-devel] E17 sluggish?!

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 06:01, Didier Casse wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>                     I notice that for a little more than a week now
> that my E17 has become sluggish. First it takes slightly longer time
> to open apps. Secondly when I open my apps they start blinking!
> Certain stuff hangs for a while. I usually open things like
> sylpheed-claws, firefox, aMSN. Nothing too spectacular. When I open
> things like openoffice it's worst: Everything freezes like Windows.
>
> When I run "top", I notice that enlightenment uses most of the resources.
>
> One more syndrome that my system has is the following: When I leave my
> box running overnight, I notice that the next day, I can't even move
> my cursor in my desktop. It seems that it has been running tons of
> things overnight and everything is really slow.  I'm forced to reboot
> the whole system to enjoy stability.
>
> I never experienced what I just described previously. The machine that
> I run often is a P4 CPU 1.50 GHz with 512 mb of RAM.
>
> Could it be E17 or something else? Clues, Debugging suggestions anybody?

Are you using any 3rd party modules (i.e. ones from e_modules)? There was a
thread a week or two ago about the cpu / mem modules slowly increasing their
cpu usage over time. I believe this was fixed though.

If that isn't the problem, then make sure everything in your tree is up to
date. Disable all of your modules and run for a bit. If that fixes things,
slowly re-enable them one by one to try to find the culprit.

Also, after running overnight, do you actually have to reboot the entire
system or just restart e17 / X?

rephorm