Re: [E-devel] Super_L keybinding

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:18:08 -0400 dan sinclair <zero@perplexity.org> babbled:

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> well - for the same reason it doesn't let you bind alt or shift or control -
> super and meta are modifier keys in x - they have special significance.
> sure - you can technically bind them and it happens to work (alt and shift
> too) but x's configuration is such that these keys AFFECT modifiers (like
> control, alt, shift etc.) and have special use. it' is a rare case that you
> want to bind a modifier itself (as this instantly removes its ability to be
> used as a modifier basically)

True, it's rare, but it would be nice if we could support it. I noticed after sending that patch that you can no longer use the win key as a modifier. It would be nice to have both worlds, were it can be used as a modifier or used as just a binding, but I don't know if that;s doable.

it isn't actually doable. that's the problem.  that's why you can't bind it.
you CAN remap your keyboard so it is no longer a modifer but some other normal
key and then you get what you want - but for most people - this will be rare.

You can bind it. I've bound it already. I've used the Super_L binding to launch Eterm since e17 had bindings (and I used it in e16 as well). You just couldn't do it through the UI. It always worked through enlightenment_remote (at least last time I tried it). I've never done any keymaping, so unless Gentoo does it by default, it does work.

dan