Re: [E-devel] Evas GL engine and several windows

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:19:54 +0200 Simon TRENY <simon.treny@free.fr> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the GL engine of evas in some applications, but it
> seems that as soon as I create a new window, the previous windows are
> not refreshed correctly anymore. I have to resize those windows to get
> them refreshed.
>
> Is this a problem of OpenGL or is this just because the implementation
> of the GL engine in evas/ecore_evas is incorrect? And can you also give
> me a list of the known problems with the GL engine? For now, this is the
> only one I noticed (with an Nvidia gpu), except another problem with the
> smooth scaling of images (but I guess this one can be easily fixed by
> changing the texture filters)

ok this is due to me having some bug in my gl context sharing code. basically i
am trying to share a gl context between multiple glx output windows - so i don't
duplicate textures etc. per window. i either have done something wrong - or
missed a context change thing somewhere. that's basically the problem here.

anyway - known problems:

1. a font with glyphs > 256x256 pixels will just break.
2. images that are bigger than max texture size simply won't show (need to
build a mesh)
3. cards that don't support rectangular textures will end up with nasty scaling
results when scaling "stretched" or "squashed" mostly in 1 dimension (mipmap
issues basically when used for 2d)
4. scaling down even with smooth scaling is ugly (need to use anisotropic
filtering  if possible)
5. doesn't support destination alpha (easy-ish to fix)
6. need pbuffer support implemented for the future (we need to be able to
render to an intermediate buffer)
7. if the window is fullscreen glx may choose to do page flipping not copy from
back to front buffer. in this case evas's assumption that the buffer was
exactly as it left it when it last rendered is wrong - as it actually is as it
was rendered 2 frames ago, not the last frame.

that's a list off the top of my head. :)