Re: [E-devel] patch to reduce memory consumption of enlightenment caused by fontconfig

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:47:52 +0800 Stafford Horne <shorne@softhome.net> babbled:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
> Andrei Lahun <zhirnyi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I made a patch for evas, now we load only first font
> > which match criteria , not a full list returned by
> > fontconfig , for example with current code if i load
> > "Verdana" evas + fontconfig load total 37 fonts with
> > patch only first one - Verdana.ttf
>
> There is a problem with this. I know raster already commited the patch but
> the reason I load all fonts is to allow for font fallbacks.  With the latest
> patch I can no get font fallbacks (Chinese characters) to work.

ooh i didnt check that - the patch looked ok as it still did ADD fonts.

> Do you have any ideas for how to get fontconfig fallbacks and low memory
> footprint?

hmmm well evas does load the font fallbacks so it has a handle at least. maybe
we can fix that so evas only loads a fallback when it hunts for a missing
character?