[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[E-devel] Mem and net modules soaking up cycles.



The mem and net modules slowly soak up the CPU cycles.  I've been
playing with it for hours, here is my findings, speculation, and wild
ramblings.

First, and most importantly, it's a very slow process.  CPU will start
at one percent, and slowly creep up to ten percent over an hour.  I
tracked it as high as 14 percent once.  As far as I can tell, it will
just keep increasing CPU usage until it gets to 100 percent.  I'll
leave it running when I sleep to check if it maxes out.

All other modules where unloaded, except the cpu module.  All other
activity was kept to a minimum.  I sat there for hours doing nothing
but watching the meters.  Desklock can't be disabled entirely, but
moving the mouse a little bit every now and then keeps it at bay.  All
meter modules where stretched across my 1024 x 768 monitor, set to 128
pixels high, and updating once a second.

The problem only occurs when the graphs are turned on.  Having text
turned on or not made no difference.  There doesn't appear to be any
difference once the graphs reach the edge of the screen, the CPU usage
kept growing.

Once the graphs where turned off, either through the modules config
dialog, or disabling the modules, then CPU usage returned to one
percent.

The problem appears most in mem, net had the same problem, but
increased much slower.  The cpu module didn't display the problem at
all.  mem and net look more like each other than cpu, so I started
going through the differences between cpu and mem.

At first I thought that since I only have one cpu, the cpu module is
different coz the others do two graphs (cpu module does one graph per
cpu).  Disabled the code making the extra graph.  No change.

I noticed some differences in the .edc, so I made the mem one look more
like the cpu one.  Made the mem module look much better, but otherwise
no change.  

Since I have bugger all bandwidth, I suspected that the net graph might
not be soaking those cycles coz it's not moving as many pixels compared
to mem.  Clutching wildly at straws, I hard coded both the memory and
swap used to 100 percent, thinking that it might soak cycles much
faster.  No change.

I did notice one thing, it may or may not be related.  The second
graphs on mem (swap) and net (Tx) where acting strangely.  The maximum
length of each of those seemed to move to the right at the same speed
as the graph itself moved to the left.  You don't notice anything until
the graph gets halfway across the screen, then the moving section starts
to get shorter, leaving either old lines, or blankness behind.  You
have to see it to see what I mean.  There is nothing obvious in the
code to explain this.

It could be some subtle difference between cpu and mem/net modules.  It
might be something totally unrelated elsewhere.

It's way past my bed time, so I'll pass the baton to devilhorns, and
check in when I awake.  Hope the above is helpful, and that I didn't
miss reporting anything.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature