Re: [E-devel] FC5 & X.org X11R7 with entrance

On 3/31/06, Laurence Vanek <lvanek@charter.net> wrote:
> I am not able to use the same tricks of integrating entrance in to FC5
> that I had used for FC4.  I think it may be that X11R7 & its modular
> approach is what is different.  From the FC5 release notes:
>
> ================
> 21.3. X.org X11R7 Developer Overview
>
> The following list includes some of the more visible changes for
> developers in X11R7:
>
>      The entire buildsystem has changed from |imake| to the GNU
> |autotools| collection.
>
>      Libraries now install |pkgconfig| |*.pc| files, which should now
> always be used by software
>      that depends on these libraries, instead of hard coding paths to
> them in |/usr/X11| |R6/lib | or
>      elsewhere.
>
>      Everything is now installed directly into |/usr| instead of
> |/usr/X11| |R6|. All software that hard
>      codes paths to anything in |/usr/X11| |R6| must now be changed,
> preferably to dynamically
>     detect the proper location of the object. Developers are *strongly*
> advised against hard-coding
>     the new X11R7 default paths.
>
>     Every library has its own private source RPM package, which creates
> a runtime binary
>     subpackage and a |-devel| subpackage."
>
> ==================
>
> On boot cannot seem to find display.  No locked up keyboard, just
> flashing display with text warnings.  Is entrance "looking for love in
> all the wrong places"?  How about the make-install script?  X appears to
> now be in /usr/bin for FC5.
>
> Didier:  Curious to know how you got around this with the rpm package.
> Sym link hack?

FYI. I got the RPM up in the box. But it's just lying there. :( I
tried a few *trick* to get it running but it didn't work out
unfortunately.

I'm waiting for somebody to actually send me some suggestions. :) As
you mentioned, Fedora seemed to have changed a bunch of stuff which
makes it confusing at first sight to tweak the files and get entrance
up in place of GDM.

Eventually I will get some suggestions if I wait a little longer.
There are always people trying stuff out there and sending me recipes.
It boils down to saying "Sorry dude, I've no clue either!". And at the
moment I do not have the time to hack it.

---
With kind regards,
Didier.

Yum/apt repository for DR17/EFL: http://sps.nus.edu.sg/~didierbe

Didier F.B Casse
PhD candidate, Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
National University of Singapore.