Re: [E-devel] ATTN: Core Developers

On Mar 30, 2006, at 6:59 AM, Brian Mattern wrote:

As far as granting dev access, I'm all for the more the merrier. But, we used to have a "send in some (good) patches for a while, and we'll eventually get sick of committing them and grant you access" policy. So, does "here I wrote this module" count? Are we going to grant access to EVERY person that writes
a module? Just something to think about.

I think coding standards and fitting in with the development "style" of the rest of the project should be a pre-requisite to getting access. I say this only from past experience with rogue developers who can't change the way they code to fit into a group, they often introduce more problems than they solve.

I hadn't heard of dEvian, and haven't had time to try it out / review any of
the code. So, I abstain from voting (for now).

So maybe that's all that should happen, sign-off by two or more currently-considered-core developers? Could be noted in the dev's info.txt. So maybe their code and their dev info is checked into CVS, reviewed, agreed on, and then their SSH key is put in place?

I know I'm not "core" or anything but I have had experience on projects of this size at various jobs in the past and I think the "loosely-controlled" approach works well, but too much anarchy is just as bad as too much order.

Another thing I'd love to see is a way to restrict commit access based on the CVS module project dir (like a check against the AUTHORS file), and then only "core" or project owners can add/update that file.

-Blake