Re: [E-devel] ATTN: Core Developers

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:27:49 +1000 David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com> babbled:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:07:58 -0500 Christopher Michael
> <devilhorns@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm writting you today under counsel from another core dev who shall
> > remain nameless for now, concerning the possiblity of granting (irc)
> > kiwi_  developer access so that he may add his dEvian module, and a
> > few more up-coming modules, to cvs under e_modules.
>
> I have no problem with that.
>
> My problem is - Which of us are now core developers?  raster stated
> that he wanted to flatten out the dev hierarchy.  That's why any dev
> can now add developers to cvs.  Should there now be a core set of
> developers whose decisions can override the decisions of others?  Or
> are you referring to the developers of the core E17 components?

you know who you are because i won't beat you up too badly if u do something
wrong :)

> I just want to get that out into the open so that we are all on the
> same page.

core devs are

1. current - they actually have been active in cvs etc. recently (if you go
away for 6 months and come back... you aren't core until u start getting back
"in the game" - at some fuzzy point afterwards u are back
2. you know what u are doing the vast majority of the time. you aren't blindly
breaking/etc.
3. you actually ACCEPT responsibility for your work and when it needs fixing -
u fix.
4. you have a big hand in code development. devs who do packaging i wouldn't
consider "core" but more "helpers"

i don't like to make a "them and us" culture though - so i want to keep this
all fuzzy and nebulous.