Re: [E-devel] Memory pool management

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:14:58 +0100 Cedric <cedric.bail@free.fr> babbled:

> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 03:57, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > have you tested ememoa heavily? i'm getting assert failures with this
> > small test program i whipped up to see if what you say about this
> > speeding up things like displaying menus (which loads a lot of edje
> > objects - thus a lot of eet activity). the program is attached, and i
> > get:
>
> <snip>
>
> > i need to do some more digging... but i smell a bug (it works fine with
> > eet before being patched).
>
> Well I think I understand where the problem come from. As some part of the
> mempool struct depend on configuration settings, the size allocated in
> eet_lib didn't match the size used in ememoa. The easiest way to correct
> this is to add to your CFLAGS, -DDEBUG (if you are using it for ememoa) and
> -DHAVE_PTHREAD. It's clearly a design error that I didn't catch before, I
> will take some time to find a better solution.

well ok- the HAVE_PTHREAD made the difference. ok here is my test with your ememoa being used. it's about an average result. the number is the time it takes to run the internal loop (as per the code i sent earlier).

[  8:35PM ~/t ] ./t ~/.e/e/applications/all/*
2.13070

now with plain malloc as-is in cvs for eet:

[  8:35PM ~/t ] ./t ~/.e/e/applications/all/*
2.04144

it's actually a tiny bit faster. (and consistently so)... so - i'm wondering how u are really measuring speedups? the code i have will load all the .eap's in my eap repo - which is a lot of eet work when bringing up a menu. sure there is a lot of other things here other than just pure eet code - but its closely representative of the core of the work.