Re: [E-devel] E17 fancy backgrounds use CPU during fullscreen apps/games

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:38:49 -0800 Alonushhh <alonushhh@gmail.com> babbled:

> Hello peeps,
>
> During the last two weeks, I have had very bad game performance when playing
> full screen games such as BZFlag and Enemy Territory. I honestly didn't know
> what was going on. Turning off all the settings to low and off in these
> games would still not allow me to play a decent game.
>
> Every minute or two the games would freeze up for a second or two and became
> very annoying.  :(  I thought my video card was a peace of junk.
>
> 120 MB Nvidia ....
>
> AND THEN, IT HIT ME!
>
> I changed my background in E to a regular Jpg file and all of a sudden these
> games started working like gems! Everything was perfect, smooth and with all
> the graphic options set to  high.
>
> During Full screen  apps and games, I believe that fancy backgrounds should
> be paused to reduce CPU usage. Its not like you can see them anyway, so why
> not disable them until the full screen app exits?

yes - they can be paused, currently this is an optimization though that i will need to add. als we should pause all animations etc. while the screensaver is on (ie screen blanker) - as there is little point drawing because the screen is.. well... blank! :)