Re: [E-devel] font hinting

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:19:44 +0000 Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> babbled:

> Hi all,
>
> I a little bit confused with the last cvs. Before I sync my tree, I have
> font hinting working fine. I had all the 3 options : a) byte code b)
> automatic c) no hinting. After sync to the cvs, a cannot selectt option
> a) anymore.
>
> However, after taking a look into code, I notice, that
> evas_font_hinting_can_hint(.., EVAS_FONG_HINTING_BYTECODE) returns 0
> instead of 1. So, for me it seams, that basically evas cannot do this
> type of hinting on my machine? right ?
>
> So, can somebody explain, why it is so ?

freetype may be compiled with different hinting code. bytecode hinting is patented by apple and some distributions simply refuse to enable it in freetype2. by default it is not enabled in ft2. the ftoption.h file that gets installed SHOULD list what hinters are available via defines (no hinting is always available, then there's BYTECODE and UNPATENTED (auto hinting) hinting defines). the code in evas simply checks these values at compile time and then returns if its possible or not based on  these being defined or not. so far 1 distribution already installs an ftoption.h that doesn't match the capabilities in the freetype2 that is installed. so it is possible that evas will get it wrong - but this is due to the headers installed at compile time. i know of no way to query RUNTIME what the features are so this is a bit of a bad api from ft2 in that ft2 could change  its build options without evas being recompiled against it and thus evas getting its capability checking wrong.