Re: [E-devel] entrance autodetect.sh integration.

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:57:20 +0100 Morten Nilsen <morten@nilsen.com>
wrote:

> David Seikel wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:30:35 +1000 David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I say we should add autodetect.sh to the things that are done
> >> during make install.  I will do so after a suitable period for
> >> discussion unless someone objects, or someone beats me to it.
> >
> > It's been a week, and no one complained.  I'll do it tonight, that's
> > sure to bring the complaints out of the wood work.
>
> let me just chime in now then :) took a look at the script, and I
> have one question and on objection..
>
> -- when building packages, will the script change
> /etc/entrance_config.cfg, or will it attempt copying
> /var/tmp/entrance-build-root/etc/pam.d/* ?
>
> in either case, one of these things will break.

I have not tried it from a package builders point of view.  The
autodetect.sh script tries to figure out the proper vt to use for the
currently running system, so it probably should not be run by package
builders.  They should probably choose a vt and configure that
manually.  The pam part just wants to clone a pam config file from
whatever other display manager is currently installed at the time, so
the same applies.

I'll be the first to admit that my autofoo fu is non existent, I had a
hard enough time coming up with what I eventually committed.  Sorting
it out for package builders might be beyond me current skills.

> -- sudo? why? from a packaging standpoint, needing sudo properly set
> up to build the package is plain silly.

sudo is just left over from before it was integrated into make
install.  For obvious reasons, and one not obvious reason, it needs to
do some things as root.  The not so obvious reason is that the
invocation of lsof on some systems needs to be done as root, at least
that particular invocation does.  Before the integration into make
install, it was most likely run by a non root user, hence the need for
sudo.  Now that it is part of make install, it will be run as root
anyway, so we can get rid of sudo.  I hadn't changed the script yet.