Re: [e-devel] [patch] edje jittery with sse

Le Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:29:48 +0900, dans son message intitulé Re:
[e-devel] [patch] edje jittery with sse, Carsten Haitzler (The
Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com> a eu le courage de nous raconter :

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:58:48 +0100 ilLogict <illogict@online.fr>
> babbled:
>
> > Le Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:32:22 +0900, dans son message intitulé Re:
> > [e-devel] [patch] edje jittery with sse, Carsten Haitzler (The
> > Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com> a eu le courage de nous raconter :
> >
> > > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:25:20 +0100 ilLogict <illogict@online.fr>
> > > babbled:

> > > ooh - sorry - missed that - yes. i see how it would. you are now
> > > rounding things up where they shouldnt be in many places for
> > > example.
> > >
> > > --
> > > ------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
> > > -------------- The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)
> > > raster@rasterman.com 裸好多
> > > Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)
> >
> >  Hello!
> >
> >  Why shouldn't they be rounded but just floored ?
>
> because flooring is the age-old standard kind of rounding that
> everything expects! a lot of code is built to expect just that. and
> then designs are also made to assume that too.
>
> --
> ------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
> -------------- The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)
> raster@rasterman.com 裸好多
> Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)

 Hello!

 Ok, thank you very much :)

 After hacking a little, here is an explanation: for instance, let's
get a code:

  double c0=.6;
  double k1;
  int t0,t1;
  int i=1,j=6;
  t0=(1.0-c0)*i+c0*j;
  k1=(1.0-c0)*i+c0*j;
  t1=k1;
  printf("t0=%d\n",t0);
  printf("k1=%e\n",k1);
  printf("t1=%d\n",t1);

 Compiling with 387 floating point unit shows:
t0=4
k1=4.000000
t1=4
 Nothing special to say ;D. But compiling with sse enabled shows:
t0=3
k1=4.000000e+00
t1=3
 Well, this seems stange. Let's display k1-4:
k1-4=-4.440892e-16
 That's it! Fact that with sse internals are only 64bits instead of
80bits with 387 propagates errors.

 Correcting that will be a bit tricky, imho.

 Cheers!

                                              ilLogict