Fwd: [e-users] Re: [E-devel] XGL

I just noticed that when i replyed it was just to Rasterman and not to
th emailing list..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Armindo Silva <deathon2legs@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 18, 2006 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: [e-users] Re: [E-devel] XGL
To: The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com>

Hi!

Does not Evas already (or will not?) suport OpenGL rendering?

> efl does no 3d. id u EVER want to see e17 e18 etc. - we will not even TOUCH
> this topic. if you want a 3d wm - write your own or use existing ones. e is not
> a 3d wm and will never be.

Just by watching the video I tought that Compiz is not a 3d wm it just
uses OpenGL to draw everything, what makes possible todo all that
flashy things as cube rotating from one desktop top to another with a
video stills playing between them, and the True transparent windows..
A 3d wm is something like 3dwm (dead) or Looking Glass where you can
rotate windows to Z axis..

> doign 3d will mean writign e to DEPEND on opengl and
> thus lock out anyoen with older or unsupported gfx cards, open up a can of
> worms for stability, bugs and performance, and mean e wont get released for
> many many many more years to come.

I totaly agree about don't lock EFL on OpenGL, but the OpenGL backend
could suport all that features or at least just extend e17 (or a
future e18) to suport them..

Just my 2c..

--
Cumps
armindo silva

--
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture
a little way past them into the impossible."