Re: [E-devel] The oh-so-ugly Transparency situation...

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:06:05 -0500 Ed Presutti <epresutti@comcast.net> babbled:

> I was doing some reading last night on the E17 transparency situation.
>
> I really need my Ecore/Evas/Edje based application to do transparency to
> the desktop, not just the "alpha > 128" rule that it does now.
>
> After reading the following post and going back to "The Road to
> Enlightenment", I understand why E17 transparency is implemented the way
> that it is, and it makes total sense.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=enlightenment-devel&m=106819713529027&w=2
>
> After some more research, this post was uncovered. It is a post on the
> Xorg mailing lists that discusses the Shape extension as well as
> composite and such. (Apparently raster cheats on us and uses the Xorg
> mailing lists too!)
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-October/010881.html
>
> My question is this, what is the current state of transparency in EFL?
> There is talk of in the Xorg list about Xcomposite + Xrender and stuff
> like that. Is this a viable option or do I have to resort to image
> grabbing and manual blending via ImLib2? (Like Esmart does)

you get shaped windows ie on/off threashhold @ 128 alpha. thats it. xcomposite
and xrender are infinitely too immature to do anythgin else beyond experimental
toys. frankly - it's not going to happen any time soon. xrender is so woefully
implemented on almost EVERY machnie i have (and on 1 its good only because i
installed a cvs checkout of x.org) that i'm not bothering. it brings machnes to
a CRAWL. i have better things to do ththan rebuild my xserver every day and
hack it. on my i8xx, radeon xpress, and nvidia boxes xrender is so slow it's
unusable (the benchmarks *I* run have it anywhere from 1/120th to 1/200th the
speed of evas software rendering - i am not going to get into why. on only my
dell laptop with a radeon 9000 (r250) xrender is managing to pull 3 times the
speed of software_x11).

it's not USABLE and there is NO SUPPORT because its NOT USABLE. it's not usable
for me, i have better things to do. if you want support you are going to have
to do it yourself - or wait until finally nvidia drivers implement a usable
xrender acceleration scheme, as well as the i8xx drivers and R300+ drivers
(newer ati cards).