Re: [E-devel] Re: context menu

On 2/15/06, David Stevenson <david.35472@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2/15/06, Martin Geisler < mgeisler@mgeisler.net> wrote:
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster@rasterman.com> writes:

> there's no documented call though to tell gettext to "flush your
> mush" :(

I found this in the Gettext info pages, so for GNU Gettext there is a
way to make it change language at runtime:

            /* Make change known.  */
            {
              extern int  _nl_msg_cat_cntr;
              ++_nl_msg_cat_cntr;
            }

This was one of the suggestions I'd seen, and the other was from Bruno Haible (I believe he is the current gettext maintainer). He suggests that a
   textdomain (textdomain (NULL))
call is used.
[ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2005-10/msg00092.html ]

However, I took a look at the gettext code, and basically doing what Bruno suggests is just another way of achieving the _nl_msg_cat_cntr var incrementation.
But e does in fact call textdomain when changing the language anyway (with the PACKAGE string, but the result is the same, if you read the gettext code)...
I double-checked and the _nl_msg_cat_cntr is indeed getting incremented when e changes the language...

Whoops! But not always...
When I switch to ja_JP.EUC-JP it gets incremented, but when I go back to POSIX it doesn't...