[no subject]

       If the second argument to setlocale() is empty string, "", for
       the default locale, it is determined using the following steps:

       1.     If there is a non-null environment variable LC_ALL, the
              value of LC_ALL is used.

       2.     If an environment variable with the same name as one of
              the categories above exists and is non-null, its value
              is used for that category.

       3.     If  there  is a non-null environment variable LANG, the
              value of LANG is used.

Note that $LANG is *last*, not first.

Michael

 "I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your
  head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations
  that some favors come with too high a price.  I want to look up into
  your lifeless eyes and wave....  Can you and your associates arrange
  that for me, Mr. Morden?"                 -- Vir Cotto, Babylon Five